Saturday, November 5, 2011

First Some Brass Work

I started removing the ugly pink paint the other night. If you haven't realized yet I'm very excited about getting rid of this hideous color. I know once that ugly pink paint is removed , and the natural wood underneath is revealed, this thing is going to look soooo much better.

As I started stripping the ugly pink paint from the bottom rear panel, I noticed how bad the corner brackets and other metal parts had corroded with time. Now the ugly pink paint was applied over the original canvas on the outside of the trunk. Sad that someone did that, however the good news is that the natural wood underneath is protected by the ugly pink painted canvas. I then thought why would I remove all the ugly pink painted canvas and leave the natural wood exposed while I clean and polish the metal pieces. So after removing the paint covered canvas from the bottom panel the other night I decided to leave the rest and clean and polish the metal work on the trunk today. When I return to removing the paint from the rest of the trunk I will post how I did it with instructions.

I did discover a small crack on the bottom rear panel after removing the canvas. I'll have to figure out what to do about that later. Any suggestions ?

I ran to the store this afternoon, got a couple frozen pizzas for when I get hungry, gulped down an energy drink, got a 12 pack of some decent beer, and plan on polishing and steel wooling the heck out of the brass work and other metal pieces on the trunk. I'll post the details of how I did that and the results in my next blog post.


It only took about 15 minutes to remove the ugly pink painted canvas from the bottom rear panel of the trunk so I'll add that to the project time now. This gives a work hour total of 1 hour and 15 minutes so far. Zero dollars invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment